How to Watch Movies Purchased or Rented from iTunes on Roku
We may feel great satisfied if we have Roku box and Apple TV. Use Roku to stream Netflix, Hulu, and video content from dozens of other providers to television. And use Apple TV to access iTunes movies, YouTube video and etc on TV. But it happens that we may have Roku only and want to play iTunes movies on Roku player. Is it possible? If yes, how?
I can stream NetFlix and download movies from Amazon with my new bought Roku. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Roku will play movies I have purchased in iTunes. If it's possible to stream movies i have stored on my iMac (which i have loaded into the iTunes Library) to my Roku Box?
When it comes to iTunes contents, Apple TV is dominant over other popular streaming boxes, like Roku 3 and Chromecast, or Nexus Player, which just works in Apple ecosystem to let you stream iTunes videos from other iDevices. If you have the similar problems like above, you are now in the right place. To make things clear, Let's answer the question first. Surely, you are able to play iTunes movies purchased, even rented on Roku. And just as saying goes "There is a problem, there is a solution." We would show you how to stream movies from iTunes to Roku on your Mac or Windows.
Attach the Videos through USB port on the Roku and Watch on Roku USB Channel
Roku has the USB channel that can play back videos attached to the USB port. You could copy videos (1080P, 720P or lower resolution) onto a hard drive or keychain drive and attach them to the USB port on the Roku XDS. But keep in mind that the Roku only supports H.264 MPEG-4 certain common video formats. Any video formats that are not supported by Roku should be converted first.
Videos/Movies purchased or rented from iTunes are in M4V format with DRM protection. That means users could just play the iTunes M4V TV episodes, movies, and music videos in portable Apple devices like iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV. Naturally, iTunes movie can’t be directly played on Roku. So, to play iTunes movies with Roku, the DRM needs to be removed and the movies in M4V format should be converted to common MP4 videos that Roku supports.
Mac users can use Tune4mac iTunes M4V Converter Platinum to bypass DRM of iTunes both purchased and rented movies and then convert these M4V videos to MP4 that supported by Roku. Here is how: (Note: Windows users can use iTunes M4V Converter Plus Windows to do the task.)
How to Convert iTunes Movies for Roku USB Channel on Mac
Step 1 Download Tune4mac iTunes Video Converter Platinum , install and run on your Mac.
This M4V converter platinum is able to convert both purchased and rented iTunes movies. Only need to play iTunes purchased movies on Roku? The standard version of M4V converter is more suitable for you.
Step 2 Add iTunes movies to the M4V Converter for Mac
Launch the program, and then click "Add" button or Add Files icon, your purchased or rented movies would be listed in the popup window. Select the files and then click "OK".
Step 3 Choose a format (*.mp4) for Roku
Click "Profile" dropdown list, set a format that Roku supports. Roku USB channel supports video playback of mp4 and MKV, but mp4 is considered to be a relatively superior file format since its ability to compress the video while keep the video quality.
Step 4 Start conversion on Mac
Click "Convert" button, you’ll open the converting box. Click "Start" button in converting box to start to convert iTunes movies.
How to Convert iTunes Movies for Roku USB Channel on Windows
Step 1 Download iTunes M4V Video Converter Plus Windows, install and run on your Windows.
Step 2 Add iTunes movies to the M4V Converter for Windows
Click "Add Movies" tag on the upper left corner and then all your rented and purchasd iTunes videos would be popped-up, choose videos you want to play on Roku USB channel and click "OK" button.
Step 3 Choose output format for Roku
iTunes M4V Video Converter Plus Windows supports converting DRM-protected iTunes M4V videos to various formats, such as MP4, compatible with Roku.
Step 4 Start conversion on Windows
As soon as everything is ready, you can click the whole button of "Lossless MP4" to start the iTunes M4V video to Roku USB Channel conversion immediately.
Finally, after converting the movies successfully, you can transfer the converted video to a USB file or SD card and attach it to Roku box. Now the Roku set-top box will have no trouble to play iTunes movie files.
Tip: stream iTunes movies to Roku via iOS devices
1. Download Roku player app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roku/id482066631?mt=8) on your iOS device; 2. Connect your iOS device to the same network with your Roku player; 3. Stream the iTunes movies directly via Roku player app.
The Roku players are tiny devices without any hard drives, designed specifically to play back video over the network on your TV set. It's one of Apple TV's direct competitors, but with an entry-level model starting at $49.99. All models support playback of a growing collection of multimedia “channels,” including Amazon Video on Demand, Netflix streaming, MLB.tv, Pandora, Hulu Plus (in a forthcoming release) and more.
Then what? Try Tune4mac iTunes Video Converter Platinum now! To remove the conversion limitation of 1 minute free trial, please purchase the full version ( $69.95 $44.95).
People who viewed this page are also interested in these articles:
- How to Watch DRM iTunes Movies on LG LED/LCD/3D TV
- Convert iTunes Movies with all Subtitles & CC Included
- How to Keep iTunes Rental Movies Forever
- Convert DRM M4V to MP4
- iTunes Movie/TV Show to VLC
- Enjoy iTunes Rental Movie Frozen
- Remove DRM from M4V Movie
- Stream iTunes Videos via Plex or Nexus Player
- Roku 3 vs. Google Chromecast vs. Apple TV
- Keep 5.1 Audio of iTunes Movie
iTunes Videos to Devices
- Watch iTunes Movie on Windows Media Player
- iTunes HD Video to Huawei Ascend Mate7
- Play iTunes Movies on LG TV
- Stream iTunes Movie to TV via Nexus Player
- Mirror iTunes Movie to TV with Chromecast
- Import iTunes M4V Video to iMovie/FCP
- Play iTunes Movies on Roku
- Watch M4V on Google Nexus 6
- Enjoy iTunes M4V Videos on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Keep iTunes Rentals Forever on iPhone 6s
- Keep iTunes M4V Rentals on iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 3
- Transfer iTunes Movies to iPad
- iTunes Movies to Android
- Play iTunes Videos on Nexus 7
- iTunes Movie to Kindle Fire
- Transfer iTunes Movies to PS4
- iTunes Movies to xBox One
- Play M4V on Samsung Galaxy S5
- Play M4V on Samsung Galaxy S4
- Play M4V on Samsung Note 8
- Sync iTunes Movie to Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Convert M4V to Lumia 920
- M4V to Surface RT & Pro
- M4V to BlackBerry Torch
- iTunes M4V to HTC Devices